Tuesday, June 17, 2008

RWYATT's blog #3 "My Freshman Year: Worldliness and Worldview"

I like this essay. It raises awareness about the general thoughts and knowledge of the incoming collegiate norm. This is a paper is bashing our pre-college education of the world, but in a way that makes it acceptable or even helpful. I can totally agree that getting into college doesn't make you smart; I have experienced all sorts of questions being asked of apparent foreigners that make me want to slap the ignorant inquirer. I also disagree with this essay; America is not the only nation that teaches history in its own context. I have had the opportunity to travel to the United Kingdom: England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland, to represent the U.S. in a student ambassador program. In every place I visited during the month there I received the same kind of ignorant questions, especially when saying I was from Texas. No one knew where Texas was, but they were certain I rode a horse to school, carried a revolver and randomly yelled "YEEHAW!" People of all ages asked me those type of things with total seriousness. It is always good to learn just a bit more about other cultures, it all the more opens your eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BLOG EDIT #1: I like this essay. It raises awareness about the general thoughts and knowledge of the incoming collegiate norm. This is a paper is bashing our pre-college education of the world, but in a way that makes it acceptable or even helpful. I can totally agree that getting into college doesn't make you smart; I have experienced all sorts of questions being asked of apparent foreigners that make me want to slap the ignorant inquirer. I also disagree with this essay; America is not the only nation that teaches history in its own context. I have had the opportunity to travel to the United Kingdom: England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland, to represent the U.S. in a student ambassador program. In every place I visited during the month there I received the same kind of ignorant questions, especially when saying I was from Texas. No one knew where Texas was, but they were certain I rode a horse to school, carried a revolver and randomly yelled "YEEHAW!" People of all ages asked me those type of things with total seriousness. It is always good to learn just a bit more about other cultures, it all the more opens your eyes. The way the author wrote this essay really brought her point across. The tone made it seem as if it wasn't her objecting to our knowledge, but rather the world of incoming students pointing out our ingnorance towards the United State's ignorance. The essay is put together really well, it flows in a logical manner. And somehow the author's voice is very present, even with nearly half of the essay being someone elses words. Even though I disagree with the messege that the author is sending, the paper effectively conveys their purpose in a clear consice manner.