Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Whitney G blog #2
In "Courting Confusion" I thought the essay showed how the older generations look onto our younger generations as far as dating is concerned. I understood the point the author was trying to get across, but the paper almost seemed ignorant. Not meaning stupid, but the literal meaning; uninformed or unaware. They ignored the fact that times are changing and never sat down with any of these girls to understand exactly what is going on in today's society. Women are more independant and with that comes the freedom to do what we choose. Just because sexually women are becoming equal to men and there is more casual dating doesnot mean that there is marriage only by coinsidence. Young people are getting married and making it work. Sure there are no set in stone rules leading up to marriage, but if there had been rules on courting before would this situation be where it is? Or would we still be dating by those same rules? Are the unwritten rules of dating making our college campuses and society worse? I don't think so. I just think times are changing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Whitney~
I agree with the fact that women are becoming more independent and the author seems to be unaware that times are changing and have changed even since the essay was written. With that newfound independence and pride that women have found, is a new scheme and ritual in dating. Maybe the man will pay for the first date, but as you get to know each other you feel comfortable sharing the expenses that the two of you spend together. Is this the view that you see as well?
Post a Comment