Thursday, June 26, 2008

Logan Brock Blog #4- "I Am Not a Savage"

I thought this was a great essay. Throughout the essay the author used great ethos, pathos, and logos to get her point across, as well as make the essay flow well. A hometown story is always a good one in my opinion because the writer is always the best source on the subject. A thought she used great pathos when describing how the guest speaker began to cry while talking about her native land and people. The author then used great ethos while taking the reader into a deeper insight about the character of her town, and how they used to ignore and treat the Lehmi heritage as if it were of no importance, but now they try and use it to make the almighty dollar. Last she used great logos through bringing out the big fact of her hometown, and that was that Sacagawea was born there. All these are just a few examples of the great emotion, character/morals, and logistics the author used to thicken up this paper and make it enjoyable for the reader.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. This essay was well thought out and hit the reader on all three spectrums (ethos, apthos, logos). There is nothing better than personal experience and experience of a change within research. It shows that the author is real; that the author is not just regurgitating information they have seen, but instead felt the impact of their subject matter.

RYAN WYATT's BLOG #4: "Clothing Optional"
a/n:I got locked out of my account and class blog so my blog is here.
I think this is just a bad essay. The author had me hooked with her opening comments and arguements but she lost all momentum and credibility in a snowballing type of motion. The thought of cotton being a health hazard is believable in today's world of fearing everything, but the alternatives are rediculous. I ill go on to say that the author had me agreeing with her style and setup of the essay right up until she said to buy used clothing. It is condesending to crusify something then suggest we go out and buy the same thing in used form. I would have to say that I think that older clothes (vintage) would be worse for our health, assuming that cotton is bad for us in the first place, than newer clothing that is being produced in today's health crazy environment. It feels like the author is trying to push it too hard, she doesn't even convey a fair understanding of all the sides of the issue. The essay loses validity when government conspiricies are thrown into the mix; the author, in my mind goes from an educated, professional arguement-maker to a hippie with a type-writer. I'm not planning on rushing out and buying a vintage hemp tunic.