Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Luis Blog# 2 "Courting Confusion"

Reading towards the end of the article from the "Christian Century Magazine", I was beginning to get a bit confused about what the author was talking about. So are our current rituals not the best? I will challange what this author is saying about "Hooking Up" because there are many different terms for the phrase. In middle school and even now in high school, it is what you say when someone is going out; as in seeing each other. To us teenagers, hooking up does not mean that you are becoming sexually active, but just that you are dating that person. This magazine is using the definition of hooking up as " involves a range of sexual activities, from kissing to intercourse..." This is not how teenagers percieve hooking up. But I do agree that hooking up involves two people who don't know each other well and them going on a date or hanging out together. There are too many definitions of this phrase.
I do agree with the fact that courting rituals are defenitely changing, we are becoming even more sexually curious than ever before.
I feel that this article might be a bit biased because it is a Christian Magazine and the survey that was conducted was geared towards a woman perception, not both sexes.

To get off topic a bit, I find this research essay to be a bit difficult, because I am used to writing research papers to back up a point that I am trying to make or present some new information. Not to answer a question of mine. I have to get out of the high school mentality of writing research papers. Its going to be difficult.

1 comment:

Gabi Sztamenits said...

Everything that you said i agree with Louis. "hooking up" can mean so many things, and that author made herself look kinda dumb to try and put that one definition on it. I mean what was the point of this essay?? to tell us exaggerated things we already know.
Maybe this was an example of what not to do on a reaserch, dicovery essay???
Anyways, Louis Im in the same boat as you but I think that we will end up getting it!