Tuesday, June 3, 2008
"The Barn" -Kensey
Getting the wind knocked out of you, a pain we have all suffered. The way you grasp for air through coughing and clasping her hands across your chest. Falling off the monkey bars, caught by the wood-chips in the play ground or tripping over your other left food in the middle of line dancing in grade school. The way Omen gives description to the characters through imagery like in the line that says "I take pleasure in the way my stomach feels if I nearly lose my balance. it shows she isn't scared of taking a risk and her sense of pride. Omen shows her competitive side when talking about wanting to out do her brother. She also has a lack of confidence and need for exception from her brothers as they taunt her. Anne-Marie becomes somewhat narcissistic when she begins question herself, "How can I tell her? I know enough about death to know that breathing is life. If I couldn't breathe, I must have been dead. The essay close well with ending in the barn, a circled story helps reiterate what the story was about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think that you did a really good job at outlining this short story as well as fleshing out the main character by explaining the reasoning behind her risk taking and that its not only just something she enjoys doing but also that she wishes to impress her brothers
I agree, I think you did a really good job of summarizing the story and using important quotes from the essay. Falling off the monkey bars is no fun, I've been there too. And getting the wind knocked out of you is such a scary feeling. I think you did a good job of finding more than one meaning in the story and realizing what the author was trying to say.
Post a Comment