Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Justin's Blog #2 The Worth of a Date

I agree with Beth Bailey's assertion that dating was the "commodification" of courtship. Traditionally, a date was a social pact in which a man agrees to cover any expenses incurred during a window of time in exchange for a women's time, attention, affection, etc.

I do feel, however, that the way in which dating is defined has evolved since Ms. Bailey's assessment. I believe that the term's association with an underlying activity and monetary sacrifice has weakened.  The criteria for dating is now time-based: it is based upon the frequency of interaction. More specifically, two people are considered to be dating when an extensive amount of time is shared talking to, relating to, learning about, and hanging out with one another. Furthermore, a level of intimacy has to exist; in addition to spending quality time together, there must be a mutual and genuine romantic interest in one another. This distinguishes dating from pure platonic friendship.  

1 comment:

Lindsey Twynham said...

Justin~
I agree with your re-definition of a date. It is not merely monetary based anymore. Not all women expect to be taken out somewhere, with flowers, and all that jazz anymore. I mean, Im 21 years old and i have never had that! So i liked that fact that you not only disagreed with some of her statements but put forth a new definition yourself.