Wednesday, June 4, 2008
The Barn- Whitney G
When I read the first sentence of "The Barn" I thought that I would be reading about someone describing what their life was like growing up on a farm. When I got to the second sentence I thought that this was going to be a negative story about death on the farm. As the story progressed it was easy to put myself in the midst of her and Bobby in the barn because of the show details she used. Because of the build up of the day and the enjoyment everyone was having I was just waiting for something bad to happen because the introduction had already given the build up when talking about death. When I found out that she had not died and that she had only got the breath knocked out of her I felt relieved because I felt I already had a connection with her. When I look back at how I feel when I get the breath knocked out of me, I realize that when that happens for the first time it is very scary. She is able to connect with her audience because it is an experience that most people can relate to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Whitney~
I felt the same way when I first read the beginning of the story. It is nice to see that you developed an emotional attachment and relationship with the author of the story so that you could relate to her on a personal level. I think as an author that would be the most rewarding title that a reader could bestow upon her.
I enjoy readings that I can connect with; it creates a deeper understanding that is only bore from empathy. Empathy allows us as readers to experience what we read: the range of emotions that inspired the words of the author. It offers a fresh perspective on a personal experience and invigorates us to reevaluate our interpretation of this event and its impact.
Post a Comment