Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Luis' Blog #4 Readings

This argument essay is completely different from what I am used to and it is noticeable in the essays that I read.
In "Clothing Optional", the essay's central point was very difficult for me to find and the organization didn't help at all. It seemed to go off topic all the time, but then incredibly linked it back to what was previously stated. Although, I wasn't entirely sure as to what the whole phrase of "would you trade your jeans for your mom?" was all about. It didn't seem to fit in the text and that is what confused me a bit. Also, because it started talking about hemp, which at first seemed completely random, but then once again tied it back into what she was trying to say in her thesis. This seemed to present the argument essay in a very difficult manner, because it made it seem very complex. I also didin't find much complexity of the issue, by that I mean I didn't see any other sides presented, but she did present a lot of her opinions.
Besides the fact that this essay made me become intimidated by how to write an argument paper, it presented many facts and interesting ideas that have never considered before. For example, when Gina mentions that hemp is an alternative to organic material in clothing. That was really neat fact.
"Getting Real in The Classroom," to me, also seemed to have organizational problems. It would abruptly change examples without good transitions. But the way both essays tone were like they were actually talking to the reader made it easier to read.
But now I am worried on how to write this paper, it seems more like a persuasion than argument.

1 comment:

Gabi Sztamenits said...

Luis, I can see exactly where you are comming from. I think THat you did a good job of pointing out all the problems in those essays...just stray away from doing that. I would say that when you are writing this, act like you are talking to someone and just write...I think you will see that you will have incorporated all the three aspects that the argument essay requires..thats what im gunna do at least.
Gabi