Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Kensey Gilbert "Courting Confusion"

The Magazine article "Courting Confusion" the author is discussing how the rituals of courtship has changed throughout the years. During the "baby booming" decade marriage and sex was sacred  has now become casual. I think that human curiosity and increase of knowledge and self fulfillment of women has a lot to do with this. Some women don't want to be married and such a young age and have more have a strive to be more than just a housewife. Amy and Leon Kass that taught at University of Chicago suggested that "there are no socially prescribed forms of conduct that help guide young men and women in the direction of matrimony." They believed that people still make it down the aisle but as more of an accident. I completely agree with what they are saying, so many people make this mistake of marrying sometime because they are at that "age" where typical americans getting married. There is so much pressure in our society to live the American dream and yet we have the highest divorce rate of any other country. The article also says that colleges offer living, eating and sleeping together at a young age with few opportunities in between. I feel that this is slightly judgmental in the fact that it is up to the person in whether or not they decide to get into casual sex. By no means to any colleges force that or encourage it by having coed living. They are simply built to please. With the new racy society its hard to keep the "crowd please" when it comes to keeping seperate dorms on top of cheaper living cost etc. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Kensey that people believe in the false sense that what people are doing in the case of marriage today by "living" the American Dream is not always the right thing to do, in that people might want to wait on getting married for the later years of their life or when they find that special person that they truly love. With the case of coed living in college, the reality is that whether or not people of the opposite sex living down the hall from each other decide to engage in an intimate relationship with one another is all up to the individuals since they are no longer under the roof/rules of their parents.

Harriet said...

Haha, I definitely wouldn't want to go on a date to Cici's either!! I was saying that just because a date costs a lot doesn't necessarily mean it will be a good date, but sometimes dates that don't cost anything are the best. So, I totally know where your coming from about the expensive dates that are awful. I agree with what you are saying about people making the mistake of marriage, just because they think they have to at a certain point in their lives. It's so sad that successful marriages these days seem like a miracle!