Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Harriet Blog #2
I don't really understand what the point the author of "Courting Confusion" is trying to make. I agree that the rituals of dating have changed a lot over the years. The author quotes Amy and Leon Kass who say "there are no socially prescribed forms of conduct that help guide young men and women in the direction of matrimony." I don't really agree with this statement, although I'm not 100% sure what they are trying to say. I think there are still plenty of people who go through the traditional stages of dating and proposal and marriage today, and even have lasting marriages. The divorce rates are extremely scary, and knowing that it is around 50%, marriage doesn't seem very appealing to some people. I also didn't really see any point to "The Worth of a Date." The author just seemed to ramble on about how girls only judge guys on how much they spend on them and a date is only as good as how much it costs. I don't think this is true at all. A guy could take a girl on a date and buy her an expensive dinner and flowers, but it could be really dull, and a date that costs nothing can be a lot of fun. It all depends on the person, not their wallet. I did however like they way the author wrote, and I enjoyed the stories from the 1940's and 50's. It was interesting to read about how dating has changed through the years, and what has stayed the same about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with what your saying about the traditional stages of relationships. I have plenty have friends that go through the little stages of a relationship that can possibly lead to marriage. I think that the author was extremely narrow-minded by saying that all relationships have turned into casual sex. In the second story, I didn’t look at it the way you did. I have been on plenty of really expensive dates that were awful and some that were more casual and didn’t cost that much that were amazing. I guess I was kind of arrogant by making my comment in class about CiCis, but in all honesty, I would never want to go on a date there! Hah!
I agree with your view of not really understanding what point the author is trying to make with this article because it seems as if the author just says that there are things wrong with the rituals of dating because they say so, not really giving any reason behind what is wrong with them. In the case of the second article I feel that your thoughtfullness you portray and the feelings you have for the person your taking on a date mean alot more than the extra money spent on taking them to a really nice restaurant, but that isn't to say that I wouldn't be willing to take someone spacial out to somewhere nice.
Post a Comment