Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Harriet Blog #1

After reading the first two chapters of "The Curious Writer," I was able to see a different side of essay writing. I really like the casual, laid back way the author writes and describes writing essays. He gives really helpful advice and tips. I enjoyed reading "The Barn," because it reminded me a lot of my childhood. At our farm, we have a barn that we called they hay barn when we were little. We would climb up on stacks of hay and then jump down to piles of hay on the ground. Getting hurt never crossed our minds, but like in the essay, seeing who was brave enough to go to the highest spot and then jump down was always a big deal. The essay also reminds me of the first time I got the wind knocked out of me. It is one of the worst feelings and can be really scary and confusing for a little kid. I really liked how the author used such descriptive words, because I was able to picture the rope in the barn, and I enjoyed being able to relate to the essay in more ways than one. It is a really lighthearted essay that at first seems like the author is just reminiscing about her childhood, but later you realize it was a significant event in her life, that made her realize about death.

2 comments:

Kensey said...

When it comes to writing casual and laid back is the easiest. I always enjoy writing freely and then going back and sprucing things up like Ballanger says. Try it sometime it really helps the development. I agree with the story bringing back old memories.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on writing casually and laid back, thats pretty cool that you had a barn like the one in the story when you were a little kid and experiencing those same events of playing in it like the author of the story.